It Takes A Village
I’d like to offer the safety, security, & support needed for helping professionals to find their own healing or growth. Sometimes it takes a village.
Do you know the saying, “it takes a village to raise a child”?
It originates from an African proverb & conveys the message that it takes many people to provide a safe, healthy environment for children, where children are given the security they need to develop & flourish, & to be able to realize their hopes & dreams (1).
“When our wounds cease to be a source of shame, and become a source of healing, we have become wounded healers.”
– Henri Nouwen, The Wounded Healer
I remember what it was like:
- To see the vast difference between WHAT school taught & HOW it actually is
- To be idealistic & feel defeated by the systems, hierarchy, & dysfunction in the workplace
- To respect your supervisors & be disappointed by their breach in ethics, values, or personal challenges
I know what it was like to:
- Believe & question if I was READY to leave the “security” of a system for private practice
- Feel not-enough & overwhelmed by the addition of learning & implementing business skill sets that are needed in private practice but not taught in grad school
- Feel extra pressure to please & “fix” clients to remain financially afloat
- Want to uplevel my skills so that I could do more for & with my clients
- Feel jealous of colleagues & peers who didn’t “need” their income & could practice as a part-time hobby
Taking A Break & Burn Out
I know what it is like:
- to look at life circumstances & know I can’t do my life & “that job” right now
- to need a break from the responsibility & pressure of it all
- to seek a break or “other” source of income to pause or decrease client-centered care
New Starts, Challenges & Growth
I know what it is like:
- to restart after major changes (personal, professional, & pandemic)
- to reboot my career with investment in training & new ways of learning
- to feel like a newbie & a veteran all at once
- to RESET with intention & wisdom, NOT fear & hustle
We Get Each Other
Social Workers & other providers repeatedly hear the importance of “self-care”:
“Social workers aren’t alone. Psychologists, nurses & others in helping professions benefit from practicing self-care….” (2)
Providers oftenfeel the need to be in “tip top” shape. Some even fear “losing ground” if they pause, rest, or breathe.
I believe change is needed in the helping professions at the micro, mezzo, & macro level. Until that happens or in response to it NOT happening, there are decisions to be made about here & now.
We’re Better Together
With over 20 years in the mental health field, I know wise supervisors, consultants, & colleagues were invaluable to my personal & professional development. They still are.
I know too the vulnerability that travels with sharing you don’t have it “all together” especially when your own LIFE happens.
I feel such gratitude to my own personal healers & mentors, paid or volunteer. It helps to have both.
Like you, my time is limited. Yet, I am honored when professionals reach out to me to RESET their personal & professional path.
It can be hard for helpers to seek help, maybe even harder than it is for clients.
The pressure to choose wisely & to not rock the boat in professional circles can deter some from seeking care.
If this is you, you may feel more comfortable working with someone remotely or virtually. The added distance can offer a buffer to your professional world while at the same time allowing you support.
You’re Invited & Welcome
I know the demands of time & energy it takes to show up & suit up….
You are invited to enter a space & container of mutual respect & collaboration.
After the familiar “initial set up” (online forms, setting up preferred meeting times, & billing) you will breathe easier knowing that you:
- Checked a “to do” off your list
- Secured #YOUR time (reoccurring & ideal)
- Are primed to receive the personal or professional support that is all about YOU.
It’s time to fill your cup.
Reach out to RESET WITH RENEE!
#woundedhealers #socialworkerselfcare #resetwithrenee #coach #naturalstatetherapist #showmestatetherapist #privatepractice #healingversuscoping #connectinside #itsyourtime